Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Growing in Unity - Day 3

Today we are celebrating my lovely daughter's 24th birthday.  She's the girl who made me a momma and has kept me on my toe's from day one.  Her arrival was by far the most difficult because she wanted to make her way into the world on her own terms and in her own way.  I realize this is how she's been her whole life. 

Most little girls dream of being a princess, they tend to say they want to be Cinderella with the fancy dress and cute animals.  But  not my little girl, she wanted to be Mulan or Pocahontas.  Strong, independent  from the start.   There was rarely a time when I could get her into a cute frilly dress and when I did she hated every minute of it. 


Today her strong independence has taken her a half a world away with her military husband.   While it is never easy to be away from family, I am sure that her natural independence has helped with this transition.
  
I made my first shaker card for her.  After all was said and done, I am fairly pleased with the outcome. I wish I had added a bit more to the front but I was trying to get the shaker part just right.  

For those of you who make shaker cards, is it normal to have the sequins stick to the sides?  If you look to the left you'll see a bunch of them are stuck. 

Thank you for dropping by and happy Wednesday!
Traci







    

26 comments:

  1. Shakers are my favorite type of card!! Your first one turned out beautifully!! You will learn with making more what works best for you. The sequins sticking is because of the foam tape and yep, it happens. I kinda like it because when the card is standing up, they aren't only at the bottom. I also will glue a few here and there for the same reason. If you're using a die cut, you can cut about 6 of them, stack & glue them together to avoid the foam tape. I haven't tried this, but you can use foam (not tape) instead. Hope these tips help you to make many more shakers!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute shaker for your independent daughter. I like the shape of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! If you add a little baby powder to the inside foam tape before you cover it, it will keep anything from sticking. I've heard a little cornstarch will keep the sequins flowing and not sticking to each other too. She will love this card. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card. She will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and I know your daughter will be thrilled. Shakers are soooooo fun. Ofcourse I love all things that Sparkle and all Unity stamps. Craft on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely card and well done for your first shaker, they are so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cupcake stamp is really a cute one. I love the colors you used and the shaker card is perfect to celebrate a special daughter's 24th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason my post is coming up under my email. This is Rachel Duong!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love shaker cards, but can never seem to get the technique right, is there a trick to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before I tried this one.

      Delete
  10. Love shaker cards, but can never seem to get the technique right, is there a trick to it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty!!! Love the shaker!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the shaker card and I am sure she will love it. I made shakers with my great-nieces this past weekend. If you have an embossing buddy, swipe that along the sides of the foam tape after you put it down, but before you remove the protective strip. That will take away the stickiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the embossing buddy tip. I am going to try it.

      Delete
  13. What a sweet card. I love the colors you have chosen for all of the card

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is lovely! I live shaker cards but haven't tried making one yet. It's on my to-do list in the new year. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty shaker card~ being your first, I think it,s amazing!!
    Happy birthday to Maddie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty! Love the cupcake stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had not made shaker cards for about 15 years. That is until last month. One of my nieces was going through a stressful time and I thought a shaker card would bring her a smile.It was so much fun to dig those sequins out again!
    I know your daughter will love hers when it arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty colors!! LOVE the cupcake!

    ReplyDelete