Thursday, December 6, 2018

Chicken with Mushroom Port Wine Sauce

My husband and I are celebrating out 26th Anniversary next week.  In 26 years of marriage, I can count on one hand how many times we've actually been able to celebrate ON our anniversary.  We got married at Christmas time because I figured it was a frugal way to have nice decor at the wedding since the venue had informed us that their Christmas decor was put up on December first. At first I was going to change our wedding date thinking I did not want red and green decor at my pink and cream color themed wedding.  As we discussed new dates after the holiday season, the lady interrupted the conversation to tell us their decor was mauve (now called rose) pink and white.  Happily, we were able to keep our original date.  

Back to why we can't celebrate on our actual anniversary.  My husband is a musician, he plays the trumpet in our church orchestra weekly but during the holidays he also volunteers in a couple of community bands.  So, we celebrate on whatever weekend he has free.  This year it was last week.  We found a new restaurant in the area that had advertised one of my hubby's favorite dishes: flank steak with chimichuri.  We decided to try the restaurant.  It was good not anything to brag about but we enjoyed the evening and that's what matters.


A few nights later we had a rare night free and our teenager was gone for the evening.  So I decided to try to make my own version of the flank steak. Off to Pinterest I went for a recipe.  I found a recipe and realized in order to make said recipe I'd have to go out to GET FLANK Steak.  I didn't feel like going out to get steak so I decided to change up the Flank steak recipe for use with chicken. 



Obviously, our dinner does not resemble the flank steak with chimichurri at all. I love when you start out with one plan, detour into another and it all turns out perfect.  

Ingredients: 
16 oz Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup, pieces or slices Mushrooms, fresh
4 tbsp Butter, unsalted
3 clove Garlic
2 tbsp Rosemary
8 fl oz Port Wine (or any red)
.75 cup Chicken Broth 

Directions:
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter with remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and cracked pepper. Add chicken, garlic, and rosemary to skillet. Cook about 4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Transfer to a cutting board. Let rest while preparing sauce.
Discard garlic and rosemary from skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add wine; cook, stirring up bits, until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Strain; return liquid to skillet. Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon mushroom mixture onto plates. Thinly slice chicken; serve over mushrooms.


Serving Size: 4 servings
(Approx 392 calories per serving using the Sparkpeople calculator)
Cook time: about 30 minutes.  Lots of steps but worth every one!

PS: I don't like mushrooms so I spooned the sauce over my chicken before I added them back to the pan.

Enjoy!  




No comments:

Post a Comment