Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Parenting a Prodigal: Part Three

 This is part three of a three part series: Part one and Part two



"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, 
Christ died for us."—Romans 5:8.


When Piano Man was born my mom bought me the book Love You Forever because it is about a mother's love for her son.  My children call this book the stalker mom book because throughout the little boy's life the mom is always there. At one point in the book when the boy is a man the mom climbs into his window while he is sleeping.  I have always told my children that I am that stalker mom, no matter what they do or where they go I will love them and track them down to get them back on track if I have to. The reason I have always loved this book so much is the phrase the writer uses over and over through the book:
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
When Writer Girl told me that she is an atheist, it was really the first time I had put action into those words.  A few people asked me early on if I was going to quit doing things for Writer Girl because at the time we were still helping support her at college, they asked if I was going to quit visiting monthly, etc.  I told them I was going to keep doing what I have always done for her and that's be her mom.  

I do tell her that I do not agree with her choice to deny God.  I told her that she will have to answer to Him even in her disbelief if she died.  I told her that I love her and will pray for her regularly.  What I did not and do not do is "preach" at her.  I do not send her messages with scripture or debate with her about the existence of God because I know that I cannot change her heart.  ONLY GOD CAN DO THAT.  I feel like it is my job as her mom to be consistent in who I have always been: I pray when we are together, I have not changed any expectations that we had for her before she decided to become an atheist.  Those things are the same and will remain because I feel that this is the Christ she will see in me. That I love her in spite of  her choice just as Christ loved me while I was in sin.

Have a good day!
Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment